Sunday, July 11, 2010

A trip down memory lane.

Yesterday I felt the pressing need to get out of the house with the kids, to take our minds off of the fact that G was gone.

For some reason, I felt a yearning to revisit my old stomping grounds, the resort-like apartment complex at the base of the mountains that I lived in for the first 2 years of my time here.

The rent was expensive even back then ($700/month). Now the apartments are being sold off as privately owned condos priced at $180,000 for a 2 BR, 2 BA.

I remember arriving as if it were yesterday (hard to believe that was about 13 years ago). My oldest sister and youngest brother had driven with me, all the way from Nebraska, to help me get settled. It was my first time ever moving out of state and I was excited and nervous (guess that never changes, no matter how many times you move).

My two siblings were so good to me, driving all that way and getting me entirely unpacked before they flew back home. God bless them!

The day after they had left it was a Saturday and I woke up and decided to go to the clubhouse for breakfast (it was a free breakfast every Saturday, one of the reasons I chose that complex).

As I was sitting there eating my breakfast, feeling homesick and sorry for myself, I looked up to see a very tall man wearing a Husker shirt. Shamelessly, I flagged him down and asked if he was from Nebraska (he was). Thus began a lifelong friendship with Doug. He's been like an older brother ever since.

Missing G and realizing that soon I'll be missing everything here, I wanted to go back to where it all began. So, I packed up the kids and took a little road trip (only about a 2o minute drive, really).

As I wound my way up the road and neared the turn-off into the complex, I marveled at the stark beauty of the mountains. I parked the car and took the kids down the walk-way to Apartment #15104. It's vacant right now and I stood on tip-toe to peer in the windows. It looks just as I remember.

That complex at the base of the mountains hasn't changed a bit. The area is still rugged and breathtakingly beautiful. It's peaceful, quiet, and smells of mesquite. I indulged and immersed myself in all the happy memories that this place evoked, showing the kids some of my favorite spots.

One of the two pool areas was open so I took it upon myself to take the kids in for a dip. No one seemed to mind. The pool was nearly deserted, as it always was when I lived there (a great mystery, really).

The kids had a great time swimming and I had a nice time taking a trip down memory lane. Who says you can never go back?

G, here are some videos to show you how daring our kids are becoming in the pool! Guess those private swim lessons are finally paying off. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment