Saturday, July 10, 2010

He's just gone and we already miss him!

Our little family arose early this morning at 5:30 AM. G finished packing a few last items while I woke the kids up and got them ready to go. I reminded them that today was the day that we'd be taking Daddy to the airport so he can fly to FL.

J's response was, "So he can find us a house to live in, right?" C's response was, "Can I go back to sleep after we take Daddy to the airport?"

The entire ride to the airport and the entire time at the airport, J bombarded us with questions.

"When are we moving to FL?"

"Will Daddy find a house with a window in my bedroom?"

"When can we adopt C?"

"When is her lawyer coming so we can adopt her?"

"Why can't we go to FL now?"

"How do we get to FL?"

"Are we going to fly to FL like Daddy?"

"When can I play on the beach?"

"Will Erin give us swim lessons in FL?"

"What will my Kindergarten school in FL look like?"

"What's a job?"

The kids did pretty good in the airport, overall. They were distracted by the novelty of riding the elevator up to the ticket counter, helping G carry his bags, watching as he checked in at the counter, peering into the nearby gift shop, and scoping out the airplanes visible from windows.

When it came time to hug Daddy goodbye and watch him walk through security, it became clearer to them that Daddy was really leaving us.

On the ride back to the house, J relentlessly launched questions at me, many of the same questions as earlier.

My heart is aching today as I see the look of worry and sadness on J's face. He seems much more aware of what's going on than C, which is to be expected since he's 2 years older.

When the three of us were all snuggled up together reading books in my bed, J looked up and said, "There are two girls and only one boy. That makes me sad."

When I laid him down to nap, I struggled to keep the tears from my eyes as J told me, with a quiver in his voice, "I want my Daddy. I want to go to FL now."

This temporary separation is obviously going to be hard on the kids, especially J. He understands what's going on but he doesn't yet grasp the concept of time so when I tell him we can't move to FL until probably the end of August, it means nothing to him.

He asks me, "How many minutes to get to August?"

"When can we pick Daddy up?"

Before naptime, I got out a calendar and showed both kids July and August. I told them we would cross off each day that passes until C's adoption is finalized and we get to join Daddy in FL.

J asked me, "Can we Skype with Daddy tonight when he gets to his hotel?"

I assured him we could indeed Skype.

It's obvious that I need to keep the kids as busy as possible, in an attempt to keep their minds off of worrying and to help the time pass quickly.

As for myself, G has just gone away and I'm surprised at how much I already miss him, probably because I know this isn't just a quick weekend trip.

The house is too quiet. Things of G's are out of place or missing, which makes me feel a bit out of place. I feel disjointed somehow.

I have to keep my emotions in check and maintain a positive attitude to help the kids.

This is going to be a long 6- 8+ weeks.

3 comments:

  1. :( Oh sweetie. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so strong! I know you'll be ok, and you'll get you and the kids through this with flying colors! Thinking of you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm with you Mama. today i spent most of O's nap snuggling with S as hard as I could. It's only 2 weeks for heavens sake, but that doesn't change how I feel one bit. it brought back memories of when he lived in Catalina and I could only see him once every 4-6 weeks. only now we have the munchking who will grow and change so much over the next few weeks. i feel so sad for S because he will miss so much. and I feel so sad for me because I own't have my partner. my thoughts are with you as you journey through the next 6-8 weeks of single parenthood. we love you!

    ReplyDelete