Thursday, September 2, 2010

Texas and Southern Comfort Food

We're on the road, heading to Florida. Well, right at this particular moment G, J, & C are sleeping in the hotel room while I type away downstairs in the breakfast area but soon we'll be on the road again.

We began our journey on Tuesday morning, after locking up our Woodstock house one last time That was quite sad. I'm almost glad we won't be there to see the "For Sale" sign posted in front of our beloved house.

We headed east and made it past NM and into TX that first day. We spent the night in Ft. Stockton, TX Tuesday night.

Yesterday we continued to drive through Texas. We drove, and drove, and drove, through San Antonio and Houston, and we still ended up in a hotel in TX again last night, this time just outside of Beaumont, TX. We stopped in Luling, TX to have a late lunch with Grandpa John's daughter, Barbara. She was sweet enough to drive an hour just to catch up with us!

We drove into Central Time that first day of travel and J wants to know why he had to eat breakfast in the dark?! We're used to waking up to nearly broad daylight at 5:30 AM. Now, it's not light out until 7 AM or later. This is not necessarily a good thing for us early risers!

Since we've been in Texas the longest thus far, I'm noticing the Southern accent, the extreme politeness and friendliness of the locals, and the delicious Southern comfort food.

Last night, after being on the road for over 11 hours, I was determined NOT to be subjected to fast food again. So G and I grabbed the hands of each child and walked a ways to a shrimp and steak restaurant.

Al-T's had an interesting menu. Fried Alligator was on the menu. I wasn't brave enough to sample that or the frog legs. The menu also showed fried "boudain". I had to ask the waitress what "boudain" is because I honestly didn't know.

In the end, I decided on shrimp gumbo with cornbread. Ummmmmm! It was quite yummy, reminding me a bit of my year spent in Atlanta. I do love cornbread! We played it safe with the kids and got them breaded chicken and fish.

The humidity is increasing as we drive East. My natural wave is coming back into my hair, but so are the frizzies. So far, the humidity hasn't been unbearable, but we have been in air conditioned cars most of the time. G mentioned that he actually likes the humidity. It's repairing his cracked and dried skin.

I'm listening to the news coverage on the eastern storm, Hurricane Earl. It's predicted to reach Category 4 storm. 145 mph winds. At least it's on the Atlantic side. This just reminds me that I will now have to start being concerned with natural disasters.

Okay, time to get packed up and on the road again. We're hoping to get through Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and into Florida today!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, glad to hear you're doing well. The frizzies I can deal with if the wrinkly skin disappears which it tends to in more humid areas.

    ReplyDelete