Friday, September 17, 2010

Making new friends & getting involved.

People in Venice, FL are proving to be rather friendly, especially when they learn that we've recently moved here from another state.

On the first day of school for J and C, a mom struck up a conversation with me as I was signing C out for the day. She offered me advice on where to catch a sale for school shirts and we exchanged emails so that she could send me that info.

Amelia promptly emailed me that day, not only about the sale information, but she also mentioned that there was a Literacy event happening over the weekend and she invited us to join her and one other school family to meet there and attend the event together.

Once there, we met up with Amelia and her 2 boys and with Nicole, her husband, and their 4 children. We all jumped right into the activities that were being offered.

The kids in our group gathered round a table together and painted fish prints onto wash clothes and t-shirts. In another area, both J and C had sat quite patiently to have their faces painted (J requested a green saber tooth tiger design and C requested a pink flower design).

There was a treasure hunt, a puppet show, a book swap, and many fun kid games to keep them occupied that day.

There was even a good band playing and a couple of belly dancers performing, which enthralled C.

What I wasn't expecting was swimming. Amelia and Nicole asked if I had brought swim suits for the kids, explaining that the park had a lake that the kids were allowed to swim in. I hadn't realized that, so the kids had no other clothing and no towels.

That didn't stop J and C, of course. Once they saw the other kids getting into the water, J striped down to just his shorts and C just took off all her clothes and hopped in (ah, to be 3 years old with no concept of modesty). They were happy to be in the water, showing off their swim moves to the other kids. It was so hot and sticky out that day, that I'm sure the water felt wonderfully refreshing!

All-in-all, it was a fun day and we appreciated being included by these two school families.

This week, I attended my first parent association meeting and learned about some of the projects the school is trying to raise money for. There's quite an ambitious list and I'm certain I'll be donating some time and talent with other parents to see that these worthy projects come to fruition.

I invited Amelia over for a visit yesterday morning, now that the house is mostly unpacked, and filled her in on the content of the parent association meeting that she was unable to attend. We learned a bit more about each other and our families. Amelia and I get on quite well thus far and I intend to continue to work on building a friendship with her.

This week I also discovered that each classroom has a "room mom" or "room dad" assigned to help out the two teachers in various small ways and to communicate with all the families in that classroom. When I learned that J's classroom had no one assigned yet, I volunteered to be the "room mom". What better way to get to know other parents, right?

Yesterday after school, while we waited for G to return home from work, the kids and I went to the little neighborhood park that's only 2 blocks from our house. It's shady and had enough toys to keep J and C entertained for quite a while.

Here are some pics and videos from that little jaunt.

9-16-10 J & C climbing. Notice that daredevil C is up on top! (click to enlarge photos)

9-16-10 J & C having a bit of a snack in the park.







Amelia has invited us to join her and her family tomorrow morning for the Nokomis Beach Youth Fishing Tournament, where the bait and prizes are supplied for a $1 per child entrance fee.

J is literally begging us to take him fishing, now that he's seen the fishing piers. G and I are really rather clueless when it comes to fishing, but Amelia has assured me that if we show up tomorrow morning with fishing poles, she'll make sure the kids get the hang of things.

Tomorrow evening we'll be joining the drum circle again on Nokomis beach. This time we'll come prepared with glow sticks and drums for the kids.

There certainly are a lot of outdoor activities to choose from here in Florida. Of course, most of them center around the outdoors and water. I like that.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, always glad to see what a great time the kids are having and that are accepting there new surroundings.
    Maybe I didn't catch the school Celia was in, is she registered at a pre-school yet?

    Madison's pre-school and there pictures taken today.

    Love to All Mom/G-ma Klein

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would start making friends in no time! You are so outgoing and friendly, soon you'll be hosting bbq's and holiday events on your back patio. congrats on making a fine start on your new life there!!

    ReplyDelete