Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Birthday reflections by the ocean

It's my birthday today, and my Mom's too.  Happy Birthday, Mom! 

Last year on my birthday, I biked from our house to Venice Beach early in the morning.  It's about a 2.5 mile bike ride each way and it took me 20 minutes.  

This year it took me about 10 minutes longer because I had a certain little boy joining me for the ride.  J and I headed out of the house at 6:00 a.m. and when we got there, the beach was nearly empty.

J had a bit of time to frolic on the beach and I had time to sit and watch the waves roll in and out as they crashed along the shore.  I enjoyed the cool ocean breeze, the shrill cry of seagulls as they dipped and dived for their breakfast and the cloud-filled sky that changed colors as the sun rose.

Birthdays are a time of reflection for me and where better to reflect than by the ocean?!

On this day, I am particularly grateful for the blessings in my life.  Spending nearly 4 weeks in the hospital and then another 4 weeks to recover certainly puts things into perspective and reminds me of what's truly important.

I am blessed to be alive to celebrate this birthday.  I am blessed to have a husband who loves me dearly.  I'm blessed to have two intelligent, beautiful children who are still at the age where I'm the center of their universe...for a little bit longer.  I am blessed to be a mother.  I am blessed to have a large extended family to love and support me, especially in my times of need.  I am blessed to have old and new friends, near and far, who rally around me when I need them most.  I am blessed to live in a breathtakingly beautiful part of the U.S. where people come to vacation.

As I pause and reflect on this birthday morning, I am incredibly thankful for all that is important in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment